Convenience Store / Service Station Mgr

Our Complete Illinois Convenience Store / Service Station Manager Training and Certifications contain all the training packages and certifications required by the State of Illinois for you to operate.

Illinois Convenience Store Manager Certifications

Our package contains the following courses for Convenience Store Manager
1) Illinois Food Safety Manager Certificaiton
2) Illinois Class A/B UST Operator Training and certification
3) BASSET Alcohol/Seller Server On-Premise certification

Each of these three main state training and certification programs for Convenience Store Manager / Service Station Manager are explained below.

Illinois Food Service Sanitation Manager Program

The Illinois Department of Public Health requires that all food service establishments that prepare and serve food will be required to have a certified food service manager on the premises at all times food is being handled.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which food service establishments must be under the operational supervision of a certified food service sanitation manager?
All food service establishments, except Category III facilities, shall be under the operational supervision of a certified food service sanitation manager. (View a full list of category requirements)

How does one go about becoming a certified food service sanitation manager?
Complete an IDPH approved Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification (FSSMC) course; successful completion of an IDPH approved FSSMC examination with a final score of 75% or higher; and payment to IDPH of a $35 certificate fee.

Are there any alternative methods of training?
In association with the Foodservice Operators’ Training Achievement Program, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign offers online delivery of the Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification Course, approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Is there any possibility of a course waiver?
The certification course may be waived by IDPH if the individual has taken an equivalent course or combination of courses which is equivalent or exceeds IDPH standards for course content and length. The individual must submit, to IDPH, this request form (pdf) with documentation such as a letter from the instructor, transcript, or certificate indicating course completion. Such training must be completed within five years of applying for the Department certificate.
If the individual satisfies the above stipulations, they may take the IDPH certification examination once without taking an IDPH-approved course. If they do not pass the exam, they must take an IDPH-approved course prior to taking the examination again.

Similar course work was completed and a certificate received elsewhere. Does IDPH have reciprocity agreements with industry or other state health departments?
IDPH will recognize similar course work and/or certificates and develop reciprocity agreements or similar approval agreements with industry, state or local health departments, provided that:

1) The course work or certificate was completed within five (5) years of applying for an Illinois Food Service Sanitation Manager certificate, and the standards for certification are essentially equivalent to Section 750.1820 through Section 750.1836 of the IDPH Food Service Sanitation Code, and
2) The reciprocal course and/or certificate is approved by IDPH in writing.

What is done with the certificate upon receipt?
Original certificates of certified managers shall be maintained at the place of business and shall be made available for inspection.

How long is the Food Service Sanitation Manager certificate good for?
The certificate is valid for five years unless revoked under Section 750.560 of the IDPH Food Service Sanitation Code.

What must I do to renew my Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification (FSSMC) certificate?
NEW: July 1, 2014 – Refresher courses will no longer be available; everyone must take an 8-hour course with exam to re-certify.


UST Operator Training

Background and Requirements: [end note 1, 2]

Underground Storage Tank Operator Training is required for Convenience Store Managers who have an underground storage tank
What is underground storage tank (UST) operator training?

The ‘Energy Policy Act of 2005’ required EPA to publish guidelines for specifying specific training requirements for three distinct classes of UST system operators. State and territorial UST programs (states) receiving money from the federal ‘Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund’ must develop state specific operator training requirements that meet EPA’s grant and other guidelines. Per EPA’s guidelines, states will require UST systems to have designated UST system operators.

When must designated operators of UST systems meet operator training requirements?

Designated operators must be trained in accordance with their individual state requirements. While EPA requires an August 8, 2012 deadline on states, the only deadline that is currently relevant to UST system owners and operators is the regulatory compliance deadline established by their state. Some states established earlier training deadlines. Many states adopted the August 8, 2012 deadline. Some states still need to finalize their requirements and will have later compliance dates. In those states without final requirements, operators do not need to meet training requirements until their state issues final requirements. Owners and operators should check with the state where their USTs are located to determine the date of compliance.

Who must be trained and what must the training cover?

According to EPA’s guidelines, states must identify three classes of operators and minimum requirements for each class. The three operator classes and objectives of training described below are based on EPA’s guidelines. Owners and operators should check with the state where their USTs are located to determine state-specific operator class descriptions and applicable training requirements.

Class A operators

Class A Operators have the primary responsibility to operate and maintain the UST system and typically manage resources and personnel to achieve and maintain compliance. Training for Class A operators should allow the operator to make informed decisions regarding compliance with regulatory requirements.

Class B operators

Class B Operators have daily responsibility for on-site operation and maintenance of UST systems. Training for Class B operators should provide an in-depth understanding of operation and maintenance aspects of UST systems.

Class C operators

Class C Operators are daily on-site employees who are generally the first line of response to events indicating emergency conditions. Training should allow the Class C operator to take appropriate action in response to UST related emergencies or alarms caused by spills or releases from an UST system.

Must operators repeat training?

EPA required states specify retraining requirements for designated operators. States have addressed this differently. Some states require periodic refresher training, while others require targeted specific retraining on those areas where a compliance violation is identified. Owners and operators should check with the state where their USTs are located to determine the state’s retraining requirements.

What documentation will owners and operators need to maintain?

Depending on a state’s UST training requirements, legally responsible UST system owners and operators may be required to identify appropriately designated operators, as well as verify training in line with their state requirements. Owners and operators should check with the state where their USTs are
H4 Where can owners and operators obtain additional information on operator training requirements? look down
This Web page provides additional information regarding operator training. Above, you can access EPA’s operator training guidelines and a map depicting states’ status in complying with EPA’s guidelines. Below, there is a link to an operator training resource guide and accompanying spreadsheet. The map and resource guide are useful in helping you determine operator training requirements that apply to your UST system. They contain contact information on individual state UST programs, links to states’ operator training requirements, and a synopsis of key decisions states made or are planning to make in implementing their state-specific operator training requirements.

States receiving funding under Subtitle I shall develop state-specific training requirements consistent with EPA’s guidelines. The state-specific training requirements must:
Be developed in cooperation with tank owners and operators;
Take into consideration training programs implemented by owners and operators; and
Be appropriately communicated to tank owners and operators.
Grant Guidelines

The following USTs do not need to meet federal requirements for USTs:

Farm and residential tanks of 1,100 gallons or less capacity holding motor fuel used for noncommercial purposes;
Tanks storing heating oil used on the premises where it is stored;
Tanks on or above the floor of underground areas, such as basements or tunnels;
Septic tanks and systems for collecting storm water and wastewater;
Flow-through process tanks;
Tanks of 110 gallons or less capacity; and
Emergency spill and overfill tanks.

For further information on UST Programs:

Basic Information about The Underground Storage Tank Program

Frequent Questions About Underground Storage Tanks

Laws Pertaining To Underground Storage Tanks

Regulations Pertaining To Underground Storage Tanks

UST/LUST Program Contact information:


Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
Office of Permitting, Remediation, and Registration
Permitting & Remediation Support
Petroleum Storage Tanks
MC: 138
P.O. Box 13087
Austin, TX 78711-3087

Phone: 512-239-2160
Fax: 512-239-3399

UST Program

LUST Program


UST Program

Illinois Office of State Fire Marshal
Division of Petroleum & Chemical Safety
1035 Stevenson Drive
Springfield, IL 62703-4259

Phone: 217-785-1020
Phone: 217-785-5878
Fax: 217-524-9284

UST Program

Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
Bureau of Land
Division of Remediation Management
Leaking Underground Storage Tank Section
1021 North Grand Avenue East
Springfield, IL

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 19276
Springfield, IL 62794-9276

Phone: 217-524-3300
Fax: 217-524-4193

Illinois BASSET Alcohol Server Seller program

What is BASSET?

BASSET is Illinois’ form of Alcohol Server Seller Laws, Regulations, Training, Certification, and Implementation of the Liquor Control Act of 1934. [end note 1]. BASSET Certification is necessary for Convenience Store Managers who sell alcoholic beverage.

What is the purpose of a BASSET program?

(a) The purpose of a BASSET program information or sellers and servers of alcoholic beverages about the effects of alcohol and drug abuse; and
(b) Provide the necessary developmental skills and techniques to identify and/or intervene with patron use issues thereby hopefully reducing the incidence of patron misuse.

BASSET Rules and Regulations

BASSET Rules and Regulations

The goals and objectives of the BASSET Program are:

Training and educating sellers and servers to properly engage in responsible alcohol service;
Spot signs of intoxication and have the knowhow to utilize various intervention techniques;
Help to prevent DUIs and alcohol-related fatalities;
Help stop underage sales and underage drinking;
Help create safer communities and establishments where alcohol is served;
And to educate owners, managers and staff on dram shop insurance, state laws, and local ordinances regarding alcohol service.

BASSET Seller Server FAQ

Q: What is BASSET and what does it mean?

BASSET stands for Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training.

The Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) is the licensing and regulatory authority for all seller/server training programs in the State of Illinois. The Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) licenses, approves and administers seller/server training programs that are recognized as a BASSET approved program.

Q: I lost my BASSET card, how do I get a replacement card?
A: Call the ILCC BASSET program at 312-814-0773 and have proof of identification to verify certification through a licensed BASSET provider. The cost of a replacement card is $15.

Q: Our employees are still having difficulty determining the age of customers from their I.D. What can I do?
A: The first step in preventing underage sales is to ask for an ID. If the customer does not have an ID – then don’t sell. The Illinois driver’s license and state ID formats make the determination of a customter’s age relatively easy. If an ID has a vertical orientation it means the individual is considered a minor for alcohol and/or tobacco. Look on the side of their photo, and the date the individual turns 18 and/or 21 is shown. Most importantly, make sure you make a determination that the person in the ID photo is the person handing you the ID. To learn more about how to properly check ID’s, plan on enrolling you and your employees in a BASSET class. Visit the BASSET Program page on this website to learn more about this program.

Q: Is BASSET training mandatory?
A: The Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) encourages voluntary participation in BASSET training programs. Please note that several local liquor license authorities have established specific training requirements as a condition for proper licensing or employment. It is the responsibility of all Illinois liquor license holders and staff to be aware of state and local liquor laws, rules and regulations. Licensees and servers can visit the Local Survey page or call the village hall in the municipality they are operating to see if they are required to have BASSET training. Many independent businesses and corporate chains may require their employees to be BASSET certified.

Q: What will I learn in a BASSET class?
A: State-licensed BASSET programs provide training in areas ranging from prevention/intervention strategies to age-verification techniques. Participants will know how to recognize when a patron is intoxicated and has been over served. Servers will be taught behavioral cues and signs to spot when someone is intoxicated. They will be taught what to say and how to handle an intoxicated patron to discontinue service of alcohol at a liquor establishment. Training programs properly instruct sellers/servers regarding age-verification techniques, which can deter underage sales and service.

Q: What are the objectives of the BASSET Program?
A: The objectives of the BASSET program are to adequately train and educate sellers and servers to serve alcohol responsibly. By properly training the alcoholic beverage industry through BASSET programs, the number of drunk driving fatalities could decrease, and can reduce sales and service to minors. Ultimately, seller/server training will keep liquor establishments and communities safer.

Q: What is the required length of a BASSET class?
A: For on premise establishments (bars, restaurants, taverns, night clubs and banquet halls), BASSET training is 4 hours long. For off-premise establishments (grocery stores, convenient stores, gas stations and liquor stores), training must be at least 3 hours in length.

Q: How much does BASSET training cost and who pays?
A: Cost of training varies since it is left up to the free market. Licensed BASSET providers can charge as much as $50 or more for training, which can be paid by the seller/server or the business owner.

Q: Do I get a card or certificate after I complete a BASSET class?
A: The licensed BASSET provider is required to issue a temporary certificate of completion upon passage of the examination. Licensed BASSET providers must send a roster to the ILCC to grant state-issued BASSET cards to participants. It is prerogative of the licensed BASSET provider, participant, or employer to request where they want their state-issued BASSET card sent.

Q: How long is certification good for and do I have to be recertified?
A: Since the BASSET program is a voluntary program, length of certification or re-certification is based upon the ordinance in the town you are doing business or the server training company you used to get certified. Currently, the state has no expiration date; however, most training companies and many local jurisdictions require recertification every three years.

Q: Will I get reduced insurance rates if I send my staff to BASSET training?
A: There are some insurance companies that will reduce your liquor liability if your entire staff is BASSET trained.

Q: Who provides BASSET classes in Illinois and how do I enroll in a class?
A: There are over 200 licensed BASSET providers throughout Illinois. Licensed BASSET providers come from a wide range of backgrounds. Trainers consist of independent contractors, businesses, hotel/restaurant chains, police departments, insurance agencies, colleges, and universities. To view the complete list and sign up for a class, please visit the Licensed BASSET Providers web page.

Q: How do I become a BASSET trainer?
In order to conduct seller/server training in the state of Illinois, an entity or individual must have a BASSET license. A person must complete an instructor training course and pass an exam. When the instructor training is completed, application for a BASSET license must be filled out and accompanied by a check for $250. Enclosed must be a copy of your certificate and course materials. The instructor training programs on the ILCC website have an affidavit that must be filled out and notarized in lieu of sending the course materials. The BASSET license is good for one year, and a renewal notice will be sent seven weeks prior to expiration.

Q: Can I take the training online?
A: There are online training program available on our website, however some Illinois municipalities may not accept online programs. Check with your local ordinances first.

End notes:
1) Title XV, Section B of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 amends Subtitle I of the Solid Waste Disposal Act, the original legislation that created the underground storage tank (UST) program. The UST provisions of the Energy Policy Act focus on preventing releases and direct EPA to help states comply with new UST requirements.
2) Section 1524 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 states that EPA, in coordination with states, must develop training guidelines for three distinct classes of operators who operate and maintain federally regulated underground storage tank systems.

Complete Convenience Store Credentials for Illinois $145.00
Complete Convenience Store Credentials for Chicago $145.00
Food Safety Manager Exam $55.00
Food Safety Manager Training and Exam $125.00

Page last modified on December 28th, 2015 at 10:32 am,